Alan Schmuckler is a composer/lyricist, music director, and actor who lives in New York.
His music and lyrics have been heard on stages in New York, Chicago, across the US, and in Sydney, Australia and Paraguay, South America.
Well, it's been a while. Here's the last eight months in a nutshell. Reverse chronological order.
- first table read, THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS. Co-music & lyrics with Michael Mahler. Book by Gordon Greenberg & Steve Rosen. Commissioned by NBC/Universal. More to come!
- WAIT WAIT DON'T KILL ME podcast (Wondery Media Network) (book by Dave Holstein) wins a Webby Award for Best Sound Design/Original Musical Score!
- gala, Court Theatre, Chicago. Music director. Old friends, new friends, and the score of GYPSY.
- WAIT WAIT DON'T KILL ME (book by Dave Holstein) wins a Sarah Lawrence College International Audio Fiction Award! Dave gives a witty speech; I give a heartfelt speech; all eat finger foods and rejoice.
- Broadway's Future Songbook Concert, Bruno Walter Auditorium, NY Public Library at Lincoln Center. An evening of my music performed by wonderful friends. This was a special night.
- DIARY OF A WIMPY KID big fat workshop/industry presentations. Co-music & lyrics with Michael Mahler. Book by Kevin Del Aguila. Produced by Kevin McCollum and Fox Stage Productions. Cast of 17, four-piece band, Logic Pro tracks to sweeten the sound, projections, the works. Songs cut, songs re-ordered, tone sharpened.
December 2016-February 2017
- COMEDY OF ERRORS, Hartford Stage. Dromio of Syracuse. Directed by Darko Tresnjak. It's fun to be a twin, and act and dance/Especially when they custom-make your pants.
- WAIT WAIT DON'T KILL ME, the podcast (Wondery Media Network). Five episodes, radioplay-meets-cast album. Book by Dave Holstein, directed by Kevin Laibson. playbill article; all episodes free & downloadable. Three days tracking vocals; two months scoring (100+ stems per episode), mixing, mastering. An intense labor of love; also I know how to make it sound like an orchestra with my computer now.
also, November 2016
- concert, Kennedy Center Millennium Stage. Greg Hildreth, Renée Albulario and I share 60 minutes of material from DAYS LIKE TODAY, NOTHING TO SEE HERE, WAIT WAIT DON'T KILL ME and DIARY OF A WIMPY KID. A very meaningful time to make music in Washington, D.C. and we were grateful for the opportunity. FULL VIDEO HERE.
- workshop, DIARY OF A WIMPY KID. Co-music & lyrics with Michael Mahler. Book by Kevin Del Aguila. Produced by Kevin McCollum and Fox Stage Productions. Notes taken, arcs improved, relationships deepened. Getting there.