Alan Schmuckler is a composer/lyricist and actor who lives in New York.
His music and lyrics have been heard on stages in New York, Chicago, across the US, and in Sydney, Australia and Paraguay, South America.
Well, it's been a while. Here's the last twelve months in a nutshell. Reverse chronological order.
- July 2016: FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, MUNY. Motel the tailor. Grew a shaggy beard, wore prayer shawl, sang and sweated for 10K people a night, ate custard.
- July 2016: MOLLY MURPHY AND NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON ON OUR LAST DAY ON EARTH, NYMF. Music director. Black holes, gorgeous alt-pop score by Loren Berí.
- June 2016: THE MUSEUM OF BROKEN RELATIONSHIPS, O'Neill. Music director. Heartbreaking score. Two weeks by the ocean. Nice one, Dan Green.
- June 2016: Camp Broadway, Tempe AZ. 100 teenagers, ten minutes of LEGALLY BLONDE. Can he do it? He did.
- May 2016: GRAVEDIGGERS' HAMLET development, Chicago Shakespeare Theater. Co-music & lyrics with Michael Mahler. Book by Laura Schellhardt. While the events of Hamlet unfold with the rich people up on the hill, down in the graveyard five gravediggers experience love, loss, secrets and betrayals of their own. Coming to CST as soon as we finish the draft.
- May 2016: YOUNG LIONS OF BROADWAY concert at Symphony Space, hosted by Andrew Lippa. Featured composer, and music director. Lilli Cooper sang my tune "Tuscany." She's so good.
- Spring 2016: DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, Children's Theatre Company, Minneapolis. Co-music & lyrics and co-MD with Michael Mahler. Kevin McCollum and Fox Stage Productions, producers. Stay tuned.
- February 2016: new tune for Greg Hildreth's one-man show SECOND FIDDLE (54 Below). Charlie Rosen arranged it, so, win.
- November 2015: Raúl Esparza concerts, Dr. Phillips Center, Orlando FL. Music director, arranger, bandleader.
- Is anyone still reading? Thanks!
- October/November 2015: CHARLES FRANCES CHAN, JR.'S EXOTIC ORIENTAL MURDER MYSTERY. National Asian American Theatre Company at Soho Rep. Additional music/lyrics. This was a cool one.
- September 2015: DAYS LIKE TODAY workshop, Playwrights Horizons. Music/lyrics by me, and co-MD with masterful Tim Splain. Directed by Sam Pinkleton.